Wednesday, April 09, 2008

How The West Was Won

I know i promised these to go up on Tuesday, not Wednesday at 1:06 am, but I decided to take in a Jays game tonight. Toonie Tuesday is always a huge success, and something I love to attend several times a year. I have to admit, I watched more fan fights and arrests tonight than I did baseball, gotta love this great city of Toronto. I already have the next one (first week in May) circled on my calender.

Here are my selections for the first round of the west

(1) Detroit vs (8) Nashville

Nashville worked their asses off to get to the dance, a place nobody could have predicted to start the season. Gone were all of their top players, replaced with guys with little to no experience. Mason and Ellis have been brilliant at times this year, and they are rolling at the perfect time. Detroit has questions in net, and has been spending too much time as of late in the doctors office. I think Detroit has the talent to pull this off, but it's not going to be easy.

Hockyleaks.com Prediction: Detroit in 7

(2) San Jose vs. (7) Calgary

Best goaltending match up in the playoffs, bar none. The Sharks need to get CheeChoo and Marleau going, as Thornton isn't going to be able to carry this team himself. Calgary has struggled at times this season, while the Sharks have been the best team in the NHL since about November. It's hard to not like the Sharks in this one.

Hockeyleaks.com Prediction: San Jose in 6

(3) Minnesota vs. (6) Colorado

Minnesota is favoured by a lot of people, but not me. Several reasons. If Stastny and Sakic were healthy for a full 82 games, this division would have been Colorado's weeks ago. Another big reason: Jose Theodore is a UFA July 1st, and is fighting for a job. I expect Theodore to shine. Gaborik, Rolston, Koivu and Demitra...or Sakic, Stastny, Forsberg and Hejduk. Minnesota may have the edge in goal, but Colorado is too strong, and are much better on defense.

Hockeyleaks.com Prediction: Colorado in 6

(4) Anaheim vs. (5) Dallas

I read somewhere that Dallas may be the worst team ever to get 97 points. While Dallas isn't terrible, they are no Anaheim. Pronger's health is in question, but even without him the Ducks easily take this series. Turco has had one good playoff round in his career (and he still lost) and Dallas' defense is too suspect. A team led by Mike Ribeiro isn't going anywhere past the first round.

Hockeyleaks.com Prediction: Anaheim in 5


There you have it, feel free to discuss it in the forums!