Monday, April 27, 2009

Whats better than a game seven?


Game sevens are one of my favourite things on this planet. Nothing is more exciting than a winner-take-all atmosphere. In the NFL and march madness, every game is do or die, and for that reason I find their playoff format extremely exciting. On the other hand, anyone can win in the game of hockey and for that reason, the seven-game series idea is necessary.

When a game seven occurs in the NHL, it is because both teams are evenly matched. We are already assured two game sevens tomorrow, with New York/Washington and New Jersey/Carolina. Both series have been great, and I cannot wait to sit down and watch both of these tie-breakers.

Tonight we have two game sixes, and because I'm a fan of hockey in general, I'll be cheering for the Sharks and Flames. Four game sevens in the first round would be fantastic, but will it happen?


San Jose came in as their series favourite, and have looked much better over the last three games. Thornton has played much better than his previous playoff endevours, while Marleau and Boyle have looked great. The Ducks would love to close things out at home tonight, but I think the Sharks will steal one on the road and force the first round's third game seven.

As far as Calgary/Chicago, I just don't see this one lasting another game. While I predicted Calgary to win this game in seven, I don't see Calgary beating Chicago tonight. Yes the Flames are at home tonight, but they will be without Phaneuf which is a huge minus. Chicago looked too good last game, and they shoud close out the series tonight.

For the latest blogs on all your favourite NHL teams, make sure to check out http://hockey-leaks2.blogspot.com, which is our newest Hockeyleaks.com page. This features team bloggers from all around the league. We're always looking to add more, so email me at cjohnson202@hockeyleaks.com for more details.