Monday, February 11, 2008

The Ball Is Rolling + So Many Rumours

What a steal by Ottawa today. Commodore and Stillman are on their way to the Senators for Joe Corvo and Patrick Eaves. The Sens get a very talented forward and a very physical defenseman (two things they really need) for an under-achieving forward and a defenseman who is getting paid too much. Stillman will give the Sens much needed secondary scoring. As for the Canes, it's har to say whether they've realized that they need to become sellers. They've been searching for a puck-moving d-man all season and they have one in Corvo, but wow did they spend for him, both money and trade wise. Maybe Eaves will re-find his game in Carolina, but I just don't see it.

Now, after a weekend away, I have lots to talk about...

So whats next? I remember last year I was in my car on my way to Toronto (same thing I was doing when this trade broke) when Forsberg was dealt to Nashville. It was a deal nobody expected, a lot like this one. That was the official start to the deadline, just like today is.

I've heard Sundin has waived his NTC for Detroit and Anaheim only. I find it hard to believe Vancouver is off that list, but then again, the Canucks are not in the playoffs currently, and Sundin wants to win. Why wouldn't Mats want to play in Calgary? He loves Canada, and who wouldn't want to play with Iginla, Phaneuf and Kiprusoff? If I'm Fletcher I talk Mats into going to the Flames, thats where all the good prospects are...

Darcy Tucker to Detroit rumours really heated up over the weekend. I've heard Tucker will only go to Montral or Detroit, as he wants to stay close to home. Doubt Otttawa is on his list...

Speaking of Detroit, them getting Brad Stuart seems VERY likely. I spoke to a source this morning who told me he'd be shocked if this deal didn't happen.

Rob Blake is not going to Detroit, or the East for that matter. No, apparently he wants to stay on the west coast. San Jose really wants him, but doesn't want to give up their prospects to get him, as they are afraid of them coming back to haunt them in that pacific division. Colorado and Minnesota are my two guesses right now. Look for San Jose to push for Dan Boyle.

Montreal has significant interest in Nagy, as does Pittsburgh. Speaking of the Habs, Ryder to Dallas is still VERY hot.

The New Jersey Devils are talking to Tampa Bay about Prospal. They also have interest in Dan Boyle.

The Islanders are getting a lot of calls about Mike Comrie. I heard Edmonton would like him back yesterday, while Detroit, Dallas and Phoenix are said to have made calls to the Islanders about him.

Finally, Colorado has a lot of interest in Wade Belak...Leafs would love to bring in one of Liles or Svatos...something to keep an eye on...